Skip to content

Programs : Brochure

This page is the brochure for your selected program. You can view the provided information for this program on this page and click on the available buttons for additional options.
Fact Sheet:
Admin Fees: Yes WI GI Benefits Eligible: Yes
Program Sponsor: *UWL-Exchange* Language of Instruction: French
Areas of Study: Cultural Studies, French Housing Options: Homestay, Residence Hall
Financial Aid Eligible: Yes
Program Description:

Location: Normandy, France
Official Language: French
Population: 3,450,388
Campus size: 29,000 on 6 campuses
Interesting Facts: Location of the D-Day landings of 1944 -Visit the cemeteries and
memorials along the D-Day beaches! Also site of the island monastery of Mont St-Michel.
  1. Meet with a Study Abroad Advisor
  2. Meet with your academic advisor to discuss courses
  3. Complete the study abroad application process*
  4. Pay UWL resident tuition
  5. Pay housing and meals to the host institution abroad
  6. Spend your semester or academic year in France!
Students will need to apply for a student visa prior to departure. **
Students should start this process as soon as they receive their acceptance
letter from their host institution as this process can be lengthy. 
Get more visa information @ Campus France and Campus France USA

Back to the top>>>
On-campus housing and host-family options available.
Students who would like to request a host-family should notify both
Caen and the UWL IEE office during the application process.

Back to the top>>>
  • French Language courses and 
  • Courses taught in French and/or English in the following fields:
    • Cultural studies (FR and EN)
    • Business (EN)
    • History (FR and EN)
Note: Courses may vary depending on the year or term. Get up-to-date information @ UniCaen.
  • 2.5 GPA
  • Sophomore status at start of program
  • Good academic standing
  • Good disciplinary record on campus 
Students who are interested in studying abroad, but do not meet
eligibility requirements, are encouraged to make an appointment
with a study abroad advisor. We will assess each situation on a
case-by-case basis.
*Note: students need to first start the UWL study abroad application process. Students can ONLY start the UniCaen application process after our office nominates then. 
** UWL doesn't arrange student visas. Students are required to independently arrange for their student visa and need to be aware that this is a time sensitive requirement that will include an additional out-of-pocket cost. For more information visit Travel.State.Gov.
Information coming soon! We apologize for the inconvenience.

Students interested in studying in France for the summer, can participate in the program to Caen, France for the summer. The summer program consists of two summer terms; however, a majority of students maximize their time abroad by participating in both sessions. The main objective for the Caen summer program is to offer an introduction, or deepening of French language  through a fun but efficient approach.
Students in the intermediate or advanced French levels can register for the DELF Certification program through this summer program. The DELF program does require students to register in advance. The DELF certification offers international recognition to your French proficiency.

CAEN Summer 2018 Brochure.pdf

Program dates
Session 1: June 11-June 29, 2018
Session 2: July 3-July 21, 2018
Combined: June 11-July 29, 2018
Please note: Beginners (A1 level) students who chose to do only one summer session, are restricted to just the Session 1

Program Structure 
Intensive language program for an immediate immersion into French culture, promoting the acquisition of increasing autonomy in a variety of communication situations. Program open to anyone over 18, with no pre-requisite of diploma and/or French proficiency; however, beginners (A1) are not accepted for session 2.

The daily courses are taught by teachers of the Carré International , specialists of French as a Foreign Language.
The program is also the opportunity to discover the rich local heritage and embrace the history of the battle of Normandy for those choosing the "History" option for the afternoon courses.

Morning: Consists of French language instruction sessions. Students will be placed into the language level that is most appropriate for their language level at the time of their participation in the program. Students will receive approximately 45 hours of French language practice that will cover: oral and written communication, reinforcement of grammatical structures, vocabulary enrichment, and work in a digital audio lab.

Afternoon: Students have the option of selecting the Language and Culture Track or the History Track as part of this unique summer program. Afternoon sessions will vary depending on which track students select, and possibly, their level of French language acquisition.

Language and Culture option (15hrs - Session 1 + Session 2)
A1/A2 : society and culture + oral practice workshops
B1/B2 : art and literature + oral practice workshops

History option (25hrs in English - CIE 1 only): The history seminar is taught in English and will include historical topics related to Caen and the surrounding Normandy area. The class will include conferences and guided visits to D-Day landmarks.

Cultural activities
Aside from the language training, a 50 hour program of activities is offered for free each session for all summer participants.

Afternoons and evenings are dedicated to the discovery of Caen and its surroundings (Bayeux, Mont Saint-Michel, D-Day landmarks...) and to French culture (Music Festival, National Day, etc). Each week-end, a one-day excursion is proposed, one included in the tuition fees, the other fee-paying (approx. €45). More information about the optional excursions will be provided to students by the Caen staff when the information becomes available.

Back to the top>>>

Information coming soon! We apologize for the inconvenience.


Dates / Deadlines:
Dates / Deadlines:
Term Year App Deadline Decision Date Start Date End Date
Summer 2018 02/15/2018
02/15/2018 06/11/2018 07/20/2018
Academic Year 2018-2019 03/01/2018 ** Rolling Admission TBA TBA
Fall 2018 03/01/2018 03/01/2018 TBA TBA
Spring 2019 10/10/2018 10/10/2018 TBA TBA

** Indicates rolling admission application process. Applicants will be immediately notified of acceptance into this program and be able to complete post-decision materials prior to the term's application deadline.

Indicates that deadline has passed