Application Intake Cycle:
- Applications will open up on the day of Pre-Departure Orientation.
- Applications will only be accepted for 2 weeks with award decisions announced via email in June or January depending on your program.
- Late applications will not be considered.
I-Engage Scholarship Guidelines
Every semester International Education & Engagement allocates money to students who are greatly involved in educating others about their home country/culture or who wish to study abroad while maintaining a high GPA. The money for these scholarships comes from the Student Association and the UW System Fund. The purpose of this scholarship is to assist students who pay out-of-state tuition (for international students) or to encourage international awareness (for domestic students).
Focus: Develop intercultural understanding and communication through participating in campus, community and international programming.
Scholarship Awards: Amount Varies
||up to $300
||up to $300
||up to $500
||up to $2,000
||up to $2,000
||up to $2,000* can apply each term!
- Spring/Winter Programs: Dec 1
- Summer/Fall/AY Programs: May 1
: Applications will be accepted starting two weeks prior to the application deadline and will be announced at Pre-Departure Orientation.
Applications will be evaluated based on how:
- Thoroughly you answer the specific question outlined below.
- Well written your essay is, in terms of grammar, punctuation and organization.
Applicants will be notified via UWL email regarding the outcome of their application, including the amount of scholarship awarded in January for Spring/Winter Program submissions and June for Summer/Fall/AY Program submissions. Scholarship awards will appear on student bills the semester following the application submission.
- Current full-time student at UWL.
- 2.5 GPA undergraduate or 3.0 GPA graduate.
- Are planning to participate in a UWL approved study abroad program during the following term.
- Attended Pre-Departure Orientation.
- Complete the UWL Study Abroad Application (If UWL study abroad applications are incomplete by the time the selection process begins, students will not be considered for the I-Engage scholarship).
NOTE: Awards are NOT based on financial need, all are encouraged to apply!
Students awarded the i-Engage Scholarship agree to participate in IEE activities and programming upon their return:
If students FAIL to participate in the required amount of activities, they will be required to pay back the scholarship award amount.
- Semester/Academic Year Programs: Must participate in 3 activities
- Summer Programs: Must participate in 2 activities
- Winter/Spring Break Programs: Must participate in 1 activity
NOTE: Students can be awarded more than once and strongly encouraged submit an application each term they participate in a UWL approved study abroad program, provided they meet one of the eligibility requirements listed above. For example, students studying abroad for an academic year can apply during the fall and spring application terms.
What motivated you to select your particular study abroad program?
Address any: (1) Academic, (2) Professional, and (3) Personal goals that were part of your decision, and expand on one or more of them. (350 words maximum).
“Academic” goals do not need to be related to your major; we are looking for you to describe how the program coursework and/or components are relevant to your goals. Regardless of what type of goal(s) you are focusing on, explain how your goal(s) enhances intellectual learning.
If you are a second-time application, there is an additional essay question that must be addressed: What have you learned from studying abroad previously?