Skip to content

Visa & Passport Info


In many countries students are required to obtain a visa in order to study for a summer, semester or year.

Best Resources Are:

  • Embassy or Consulate Website for the host country
  • Visit the U.S. Deparment of State Travel Website to search for a specific countries regulations
  • Many students, will receive more visa information, or visa guidance, from the host universities or program providers after being accepted into their program


This varies from embassy to embassy, so it is best to contact each directly. Some things to keep in mind and ask the embassy would be...

  • Average time it takes to process a visa
  • Whether a student should apply in the jurisdiction where they go to school or through their permanent residence is located
  • Whether a student must appear in person to obtain the visa
  • Whether students need to appear in person to get biometric data (photo & fingerprints) taken


Each country will have different requirements; however, items that may be required include:

  • Photos
  • Fee
  • Proof of funds to support program abroad
  • Proof of enrollment
  • Fingerprints and other biometrics
  • Criminal Background or FBI background check
  • Sometimes. Student may be able to use a visa service that stands in on their behalf, such as Zierer Visa Service ( or Perry Visa (
  • This will depend on both the country of the student and also the country the student wishes to study abroad in.
  • Please refer to the embassy or consulate page of the country the student is looking to study in.
  • Visa processing can take as little as a few days for some countries to months for others
  • Be sure to plan in advance in the event that it does take several months
  • Keep in mind, students will not be able to apply for a visa until they have been officially accepted by a program, host university, and has received their official admissions or offer letter
  • Students studying France, will need to initiate their visa application process with CampusFrance before being able to secure a visa appointment.
  • In general, trying to rush an application is not advised.
  • This will vary greatly from country to country. Review the website of the consulate or embassy to see if this is a possibility.
  • A Tourist Visa, often yes. However, it is important to research this in advance and know the legal ramifications of coming in under the wrong visa status.
  • In certain countries it is very challenging to extend. In others it is very easy to make the change.
  • Generally speaking this is something a student should discuss with his or her host university or program in order to determine if it is feasible.
  • Do extensive research on the country and their rules before deciding to travel on an expired visa.
  • Not researching or following the rules and regulations of a country could leave students with a fine or stuck in a situation where they are unable to return to their original country of study.
  • Contact the consulate directly!
  • If the problem persists, contact IEE and they will contact the consulate on the student's behalf to resolve the issue.